Data on only one phone missing after iPhone restore

Discussion about GPS Log for iOS, it's features and uses.

Data on only one phone missing after iPhone restore

Postby derringdo » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 am

Will,

I read your timely post about backups on the iPhone, but think this is something else... somehow. Not sure what's occurred, but maybe you can point me in the right direction?

Had a major photo disaster here, which required restoring both phones from a 5/9/10 backup, which seemed to work fine. Both restored the photos, and all of my app data was then present, as well. Unfortunately, after a few days we discovered a couple of apps were missing data on The Man's (the 2nd) phone: GPS Log and eWallet.

I used iPhone Backup Extractor just to look around, and the missing eWallet file seems to be in the proper directory in the 2nd phone's backup file. Should the next step merely be to try another restore on that phone? I don't know the structure of GPS Log nearly as well, to check to see if his data is still available in the backup.

This has not been the best couple of weeks, as the photo data wasn't all I managed to trash, but have fought out of the worst of it. His phone is now on the top of my list. :) Any help on which direction to take at this point would be very helpful. Thanks as always!

Erika

Edit** Just realized that he probably updated to the 2.5 version as well, before checking that his data was there. So we could have lost it with the restore, or with the update. Sounding like a 2nd restore is the best alternative at this point?

derringdo
GPS Log Beta Tester

Spikes: 654 (0 public)

Re: Data on only one phone missing after iPhone restore

Postby divzero » Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 am

OK, first and foremost, secure your backups. iTunes has a tendency to overwrite the latest backup with new ones, so before you do ANYTHING (before you even Sync) make a backup copy.

Time Machine for Mac stores additional copies which is good (do you use it?). In fact, I highly highly recommend Time Machine for Mac. You can backup your entire mac for $50 (cost of an external HDD) at the click of a button. Never in my life have I used a backup solution so cheap, so simple and yet so effective. Time Machine, Time Machine, Time Machine! *cough*, anyway...

Now... once you have secured your backups. Doing a complete restore *should* restore GPS Log data. GPS Log 2.5 contains an FTP feature allowing you to restore just the GPS Log data if you wish. This is very useful for when you don't want to restore the entire iPhone (as I guess is your case now).

Here's what I suggest:
  1. Use http://supercrazyawesome.com/ (for Mac, you're mac right?) to extract the 'GPSLog' file data. The directory you are looking for is 'Documents' (should have lots of .jpg files, and a .sqlite file).
  2. Load up GPS Log 2.5. This update is new, please update from your iPhone if needed.
  3. Connect Mac & iPhone on same Wifi network
  4. GPS Log 2.5 -> Settings -> Advanced Settings -> scroll to bottom -> FTP Data Transfer
  5. Connect to GPS Log 2.5 via Cyberduck (or any other FTP client, another is 'Fetch')
  6. Upload the entire contents of the Documents directory (but not the directory itself) to the iPhone
  7. Disconnect, restart GPS Log.

If you have some issue with the ftp, the most important thing is step 1. If that works (and you have a bunch of .jpg files, and a.sqlite file in a directory called 'Documents'), then i can help you recover your data.

FYI
I'm starting a "backup your data" drive with GPS Log 2.5.1. New "Hint" dialog, and more campaigning to come. I guess it is a common use-case for people to lose their phone, or have some issue with it, and I have been increasing support requests for recovery.

Cheers,

Will
Stay up to date, follow @GPSLog on Twitter!

divzero
Developer

Spikes: 10681 (1870 public)

Postby derringdo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:00 am

Super, Will, thanks a million.

Yes, Time Machine and backups are wonderful... but you wouldn't believe the number of things which went wrong last week, leaving me with no copies of all 2010 photographs, even with a 2TB TM drive, and a second external drive as backup. Mr. Murphy was very busy, and everything went to heck. :shock:

I used the software from Step 1, and have the directory full of jpgs and other files, so it looks like we're pretty set. I'll get CyberDuck (should have had it by now, I suppose) and will try to move his data back over again. Will post my success when it happens. :D

derringdo
GPS Log Beta Tester

Postby derringdo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 am

Happy successful upload of all his missing GPS Log data. :)

Thanks as always, Will, and I've clipped the info from this thread to keep handy for the next major disaster around here.

Really pleased to have not lost an entire year's worth of spikes! :beer:

derringdo
GPS Log Beta Tester

Postby divzero » Wed May 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Good news!!! I like endings like this one :D

I'm really happy to hear you use Time Machine, with that the chances of successful recovery are an order of magnitude higher. Sorry to hear about your other data loss though, sounds bad.

Check out the new 'Backup' share service in 2.5 for on-the-road backing up of your GPS Log database.

I hope you don't mind, I've just emailed you a few questions about how you use GPS Log. I'm planning GPS Log's future right now, and I'm interested in your use-case.

Will

divzero
Developer

Postby derringdo » Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Always happy to help, you know GPS Log is one of my favorite apps. 8)

But I am wondering if in general I should be using iPhone Backup Extractor every week or so to reclaim those GPS Log files and store them on disk, rather than leave them for iTunes to store alone? Somehow having to dig through Time Machine to maybe find a viable phone backup just seems... wrong.

derringdo
GPS Log Beta Tester

Postby divzero » Wed May 19, 2010 11:15 pm

cool! email sent ^_^

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt!! Personally, I rely on Time Machine. I like that it's automated. But, I still do a manual extraction infrequently, every few months or so, to cater for a worst-case scenario.

With the new FTP feature, you could grab the backup directly from GPS Log without having to sync & extract. Up to you!

Will

divzero
Developer

Postby User67568 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:17 pm

If I were you, I will use Tenorshare iPhone care pro to recover lost data from iPhone, because this software not only can help me recover lost data from iPhone, but also can help me speed up my iPhone for gaming .I really appreciate it ! :D
http://www.tenorshare.com

User67568

Return to GPS Log for iOS