Navigating back to the spike in offline mode?

Discussion about GPS Log for iOS, it's features and uses.

Navigating back to the spike in offline mode?

Postby MMatic » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 am

I just installed the program and I am having trouble figuring this out. I would like to select a spike and navigate back to it using the gos in my phone, thus a simple compas/direction arrow and distance to spike..

MMatic

Re: Navigating back to the spike in offline mode?

Postby MMatic » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Does anyone know how to navigate back to the point?

MMatic

Re: Navigating back to the spike in offline mode?

Postby divzero » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Hey MMatic,

OK so you have a spike and want to find your way back to it, without data. Obviously with data is pretty easy, you can view it in GPS Log's map viewer, or send it to the Maps app and find your way back that way.

Without data you generally don't have the map tiles* – but GPS Log gives you several tools to help you navigate. Your destination is the red pin, and your location is the blue dot. The distance to your destination (as the crow flies, so could be ~1.5x longer) is also printed at the bottom to give you a rough idea of how long it will take. And the compass direction is shown in the top right.

With this in mind: zoom out your iPhone so the blue dot is in the center, and the red pin is visible (quickly achieve this by pressing the 'show me' button, then zooming out). Then rotate the iPhone so that the arrow on the compass points north (up). Now you can simply walk in the distance of the red pin. The distance at the bottom should reduce as you approach it.

I do this all the time, and it generally works pretty well. I've even used this to navigate to places which I've pre-spiked (by inputting the lat,lng coords directly). Of course, because you just have the direction, and not turn-by-turn navigations, you'll need to figure out which blocks to walk down, and when to turn – but I've found it works.

* NB. one really good thing to do is before you leave your Wifi area is to load up the spike, and tap the map viewer. Move the map around, zoom out and in to cache the map tiles. This will give you all, or some of the map tiles

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers,
Will
Stay up to date, follow @GPSLog on Twitter!

divzero
Developer

Spikes: 18110 (1916 public)

Return to GPS Log for iOS